On October 26th I got my draw on to celebrate cult 1980s (eighties) movie Back to the Future and illustrated this Marty McFly piece in honour of the day that our intrepid time-traveller arrived in the future.
It was based on this rough sketch I inked and coloured in my moleskin whilst I was watching the film with my kids last month, I liked the character in the illustration so much that I decided to redraw the line art, scan into photoshop and try some digital colouring.
Having enjoyed illustrating 2015 Marty for Back to the Future day, I turned my attention to the other time periods to see if I could capture the essence of Mr McFly in those films.
First – Temporal Experiment number 1 (I know – I am a total geek!) Marty McFly 1985.
Fifties Marty McFly – Johnny Be Goode given a Hendrix slant at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in 1955.
Finally to complete the set I captured Marty giving it his best ‘Clint Eastwood’ look from Back to the Future part 3 – 1885.
Time McFlys when you are having fun!
The process for the four illustrations was pretty much the same:
- Pencil sketch to ink outline
- Scanned into photoshop and cleaned up.
- Added a base layer of colour underneath the outline using some great marker pens I downloaded from Nanda S on Deviantart .
- I then added a couple of highlights using a mix of soft eraser and very soft, low opacity white brush.
- Merged the colour and ink layers in a new photoshop document and printed on 300gsm cardstock.
I hope you like them – Time McFlys when you are having fun!